Saturday, 18 December 2010

Growing Teletubbies

I first tried to weave the samples with the same colours and the extra weft, it was better but not good enough. I suppose that the basic colours were no good. I used what i had at home... Never a good starting point! Me, as a teacher encouredge my students to go for the colour they want and not use only what happens to be on your shelfs. Buy or if it not for sale, dye your own colours. So i ordered a more bluer purple and a browner red.
I'm quite happy with the result now.
There is little contrast but this is also in the original photo and is part of the special atmosphere. I'm also pleased with the sparkel in his eye! Fasinating to see your design grow on the loom! (TC1) The weaving software (Arahweave) is also a dream to work with, this would be almost impossible to in photoshop although you only 
need a bitmap to controle the loom.

Thursday, 2 December 2010

Working in full colour...

As first colour samples worked out to redish and to light i added an extra weft, a blue-gray.

So now back to the computer, programming a double warp, 7 wefts textile.
I also had to considder the selfedge as it already with 6 wefts advanced too quickly.
I will have to be careful when weaving because the structure seems very sensitive to the  beat...

Wednesday, 24 November 2010


The exhibition of Craigie Horsfield who showed foto's woven in jacvquard on big scale were very impressive... i felt my fingers itching.
Time to go back to the loom! The black warp that was beamed up this summer ...  i treated through hedles and reed. Further the designing could start.
This is the picture i started with. It was taken by my son, the Telletubby collection of my friend (or part of it). He used some speciale filter to create it.
I reduced colours till 40 were left and now i'm looking for matching colours by making colour samplings. I'm using  6 weft colours in a double weave construction. The present results are nice but not sufficient... have a look:

Wednesday, 23 June 2010

cutting the warp from the loom...

This is always a great moment, the end of a warp, the cutting...
surprise, surprise, how shall it look? This is what came off the loom:foto's

Friday, 11 June 2010

The weaving...

These are pictures of the weaving from the draft published earlier.
I'm making a series of these. I also use the original photo (colour reduced) and this gives the next result on the loom... 

Friday, 4 June 2010

The technical drawing

It's a bidmap, perhaps you can download it and weave it, like I will. If you do so, enjoy it!

'reflections', my new work

Encouraged by the many possitive reactions on my previous work on fb, I imediatly have started a next project. The inspiration comes from a series of photo's from glasstills in our bathroom. I picked this photo:

I used Arahpaint, a open source software (!) running on Linux to adjust the photo to a more abstract design, result

You can see that it is a detail, enlarged en redused in colours...
This image, I brought in to Arahweave and assigned weave structures to. In total there are 18 different colours in the image, this means 12 different weave structures in jacquard weaving.

Again I will do the shadings with 3 colours: black, gray and green.

Wednesday, 2 June 2010

Finished weaving!

Today I finished the multi-coloured weaving on the TC1. I'm leaving it on the loom.
Here is a picture.

and a close-up.

Wednesday, 19 May 2010


The Royal Academy of Antwerp, dko, textile departments show their works.

You are invited for the opening on Saterday May 29, 3 p.m..

Friday, 14 May 2010

Work in progress

I used Arahpaint in the design process and Arahweave to do the

This how it looks now, on the loom...

New work on the TC1

Inspired by the Lisio visit, I couldn't wait to get my own Jacquard working again. Warping, designing, making of a coloured drawing, assigning weavestructures...

I want to find out what can be done by using a white warp and three basic colours as weft, like in the time of the pointiists, early twenty century.
This is a test for the colourblending...

Friday, 30 April 2010

The samples at the Jacquard loom in Lisio

You can see the results of the projects on picasaweb together with some photo's of the fondation. My own work can be seen here:

As  you can see are the colours different from the sample, this is because I changed weft rotation.

Tuesday, 27 April 2010

Fondazione Arte della Seta Lisio

Back home from a week in Florence, Italy. I went with three students  of the specialisation years of KASKAdko, Gele Huis, department weaving and two collleagues to the Fondazione Lisio.
After half a day of textile analising and half a day of computer initiation (point-carrĂ©), the real work started...  Adjusting the artwork, determing weaving structures and testing these on the jacquard loom...

Monday, 8 February 2010


I'm working on a facebook page for The Yellow House, here the textile departments from (the part-time) Royal Academy of Antwerp are situated. We have three options: Contemporary Lace, Textile Art and WeavingArt. (I teach design- and weaving in the weaving art department for twoyears now.)
You are invited to become a fan.

The WeavingArt department has also created a group page, weavers that have a warm hart for us
are welcome.